Saturday 5 January 2013

Dill Pickle Soup


For Christmas, I got The Soup Sisters Cookbook. Upon my initial perusal, the one recipe that really caught my eye was Dill Pickle Soup. I am a lover of all things pickled - dill pickle potato chips, popcorn seasoning, pickled herring, pickled eggs, pickled beans... you get the idea. Not only had I never made Dill Pickle Soup, I had never even tasted such a thing! It had to be made:

Dill Pickle Soup

 

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 4 large garlic dill pickles, about 3 cups chopped
  • 2/3 cup liquid from pickle jar or water
  • 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Salt and black pepper
  • Sugar to taste, if desired
  • Chopped fresh dill for garnish, if desired

Directions 

  1. Melt butter in a large pot. Saute onion until translucent, about 3 minutes. 

  2. Add broth, pickles, pickle liquid and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. 

  3. Blend flour with sour cream. Temper sour cream mixture with a little hot soup. 
  4. Pour tempered sour cream into hot soup, whisking constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning, adding sugar if desired. Note: At this point, the soup can be left chunky or pureed to the velvety consistency of vichyssoise. 

  5. Serve in heated bowls garnished with chopped fresh dill, if desired. 
My Review: As with most soups, this soup just tasted better each time I took it out of the fridge for a bowl. It's not something you would really want a HUGE bowl of as the flavor is pretty intense, but it would be great to have in a little cup for a starter to a larger meal. It was creamy and rich, even though I used low fat sour cream. This is something I would definitely make again.

Jason's Review: It was a dilly delight in my mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment